Basildon was originally a small, rural village but in 1949, it was joined with Laindon, Pitsea, Vange, Lee Chapel, Langdon Hills, Nevendon and parts of Dunton, to form a New Town, designed to relieve the overpopulated areas of east London.
In 1974, Basildon, Billericay and Wickford were amalgamated to form Basildon Borough. It has the second largest population in Essex and covers some 42.5 square miles. Although approximately 70% of the borough is rural, it has excellent road and rail links to London as well as to the rest of the county and South East England.
Basildon Borough offers a broad range of sports and leisure activities, including the Sporting Village, the Festival Leisure Park and country parks at Basildon, Billericay, Langdon Hills and Wickford.